The Peter O’Donnell Jr. Brain Institute (OBI) Investigator Program was established to create a mutually beneficial partnership that allows the OBI to incorporate the very best science from across UT Southwestern to most effectively and rapidly advance brain science. In addition, the program will foster scholarly excellence and enhance connections among faculty working on brain science-related research. All UTSW faculty are eligible to apply for Investigator status.
What are the benefits of becoming an OBI Investigator?
- Subsidies on OBI Core resources: STED, RBC, Two-Photon Microscope
- Access to BioHPC
- Invitations to seminars, workshops, symposia, Grand Rounds, and other research-related activities
- Eligibility to apply for OBI internal grant programs.
How do I become an OBI Investigator?
Applicants must meet one of the following criteria:
- Active in brain-related research as evidenced by serving as a PI or Project Leader of a brain-related, peer reviewed grant (NIH R award or DOD/VA/NSF equivalent, T32, or grant from nationally recognized foundation)
- PI/leader of an active clinical trial performed in the Perot Neuroscience Translational Research Center with ten or more accruals per year
- Leader of a clinical or educational activity within a nationally recognized research network or consortium (e.g., NeuroNext)
- Key contributor to the OBI scientific mission (e.g., hold an OBI leadership position)
- New Assistant Professor in the first 5 years of appointment actively pursuing an independent research career
OBI Investigators are expected to participate in Institute activities and to help shape OBI’s scientific direction and growth through participation in recruitment, mentorship, and planning committees.
*What if I am an OBI faculty member?
All faculty in OBI departments and centers are OBI Members and automatically eligible to apply for special funding for program activities, including support for research symposia or educational or community outreach activities, but OBI Members who wish to become Investigators will need to apply. Learn more about membership.
To apply as an Investigator, please complete the OBI Investigator Request form. Applications must be renewed every 3 years to maintain Investigator status.